Photography by Brad Paris
SoHo Broadway Community Corner-with updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19) shutdowns
The Community Corner provides information about community programming, public museum exhibits and announcements from not-for-profits and governmental institutions providing programming in SoHo and neighboring communities.
* New York State PAUSE: Governor Cuomo has directed the state nonessential workforce to continue to work from home through May 15th, 2020. These directives will effect community programming throughout NYC. SoHo Broadway Initiative will update this page throughout the month of May 2020.
The Architectural League
- As a vital, independent forum for architecture and its allied disciplines, the League helps create a more beautiful, vibrant, innovative, and sustainable future.
- The Architectural League has temporarily suspended its live programming. We will continue to produce and publish new material on urbanomnibus.net and archleague.org.
- Emerging Voices Reports is a new digital series created by this year’s Emerging Voices in lieu of live lectures. From slideshow presentations to project walk-throughs, this year’s winners produced original videos to share their work after live events were canceled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Sample Emerging Voices Reports: Mork Ulnes Architects and Young Projects
- Enjoy the online publication of Urban Omnibus: urbanomnibus.net
The Center for Italian Modern Art
- (CIMA) is a 501c3 public nonprofit exhibition and research center established in 2013 in New York City to promote public appreciation and advance the study of modern and contemporary Italian art in the United States and internationally.
- CIMA will be closed to the public until further notice. We are offering a A partial tour of our currently ‘not-on-view’ exhibition of the artworks included in Marino Marini: Arcadian Nudes (on through June 13, 2020). See More Here: www.italianmodernart.org
- website: italianmodernart.org
The Chinese American Arts Council-Gallery 465
- The Chinese American Arts Council (CAAC) was established in 1975 to support the cultural arts of New York City’s Chinese-heritage communities and to generally raise awareness of Chinese performing and visual arts.
- Gallery 456 is the visual arts exhibition space of the Chinese American Arts Council and is closed until further notice.
- Website: www.caacarts.org
Community Board No. 2
- The Manhattan Community Board 2 is a New York City community board encompassing the neighborhoods of Greenwich Village, West Village, NoHo, SoHo, Lower East Side, Chinatown, and Little Italy in the borough of Manhattan. Community Board 2 is one of the first community boards to be established in the early 1960’s
- For the month of May, Manhattan Community Board 2 meetings will be held virtually via Video Conferencing. Instructions on how to access the meetings will be posted on the calendar page HERE.
- FULL BOARD, Thursday, May 21 – 6:30 PM, Meeting Access via Video Conference
- website: Community Board 2 Manhattan
Douglas Dunn + Dancers
- We will post the new schedule for the book launch when we have more details. Sorry for any inconvenience and please be safe.
- Website: Douglas Dunn + Dancers
The Drawing Center
Elizabeth Street Garden
- As New York City continues to respond to the current COVID-19 pandemic, Elizabeth Street Garden’s Board of Directors has decided not to open the Garden. Please check the Facebook page for reopening details: @ElizabethStreetGarden
- Website: elizabethstreetgarden.org
Housing Works Bookstore and Cafe
- HousingWorks fights for funding and legislation to ensure that all people living with HIV/AIDS have access to quality housing, healthcare, HIV prevention, and treatment, among other lifesaving service
- Our clinics remain open.
- We are running an emergency homeless shelter for folks with COVID-19.
- We are scaling back our brick and mortar retail spaces while taking additional measures to ensure the health and wellbeing of our clients and staff. Until further notice, we are closing the Thrift Shops. The online Shop remains up and running, but shipping will be delayed until staff are safely able to return and process.
- Website: Housingworks.org
The Judd Foundation
- In accordance with city and state government guidance, Judd foundation will suspend public programs and guided visits of our spaces in Texas and New York beginning March 13. We anticipate a closure of at least four weeks.
- website: Juddfoundation.org
Leslie-Lohman Museum-50 Years of LGBTQ Art
- Created by our founders to preserve LGBTQ identity and build community, the Leslie-Lohman Museum acts as a cultural hub for the LGBTQ community by aspiring to reclaim scholarship from a queer perspective, to provide a training ground for queer artists and cultural workers, and to examine the juxtaposition between art and social justice in ways that provoke thought and dialogue.
- The Leslie-Lohman Museum of Art will be closed temporarily starting Saturday, March 14 to support New York City’s effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Lower East Side Ecology Center
- LES offers Community-based Recycling and Composting Programs, Local Stewardship of Green Space, and Environmental Education Programs.
- All of our public programs are temporarily suspended. We are closing all of our compost drop-off sites until further notice.
- All scheduled e-waste events are officially canceled, and our Gowanus e-waste warehouse is closed until further notice.
- We have suspended upcoming volunteer workdays, workshops, and outreach activities until further notice.
- Currently, East River Park is open. As stewards of the park, we ask you to take extra precautions to stay healthy and safe by maintaining at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and others and to avoid congregating in groups. Team sports (such as basketball, football, softball, and soccer) are not permitted in NYC parks at this time.
- Also, all community gardens are now closed to the public.
- Website: LES
Mulberry Street Library
Museum at Eldridge Street
- Due to escalating concerns surrounding COVID-19, the Museum will temporarily suspend operation beginning Sunday, March 15th. We will update with more information as soon as it is available. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Website: Museum at Eldridge Street
Rebecca Kelly Ballet
- Appleby Foundation, Inc. 501c3 non-profit listed on Guidestar
- Home of the classical and contemporary Rebecca Kelly Ballet – since 1979.
- For professionals – Rehearsal studio for dance
- Find out more about us: www.rebeccakellyballet.com
SoHo Arts Network
- The Soho Arts Network is a working network of non-profit art spaces in SoHo, celebrating the rich history of our unique creative community.
- See network of galleries: sohoarts.org
SoHo Design District
- The SoHo Design District brings together SoHo’s design community through the promotion and preservation of SoHo as a premier destination for world renowned design and creativity.
- See map of design community: sohodesigndistrict.org
The SoHo Memory Project
- Contact the SoHo Memory Project: email@example.com
- The SoHo Memory Project is a mobile museum, archive, and blog celebrating and preserving the history of SoHo as a New York City neighborhood. Contact the SoHo Memory Project: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: sohomemory.org
Would your organization like to be added to our SoHo Broadway Community Corner? email us at email@example.com
See our news & events
SoHo Broadway Community programming