SoHo Broadway Community Corner – October 2019
Sep 30, 2019 | By SoHo Broadway Initiative
Photography by Brad Paris
SoHo Broadway Community Corner-SoHo Broadway Neighborhood Guide
The Community Corner provides information about community programming, public museum exhibits and announcements from not-for-profits and governmental institutions providing programming in SoHo and neighboring communities.
The Architectural League
- 594 Broadway, Suite 607 New York, NY 10012, (212) 753-1722 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- As a vital, independent forum for architecture and its allied disciplines, the League helps create a more beautiful, vibrant, innovative, and sustainable future.
- Learn about the League’s events HERE
- Enjoy the online publication of Urban Omnibus: urbanomnibus.net
The Center for Italian Modern Art
- 21 Broome St, New York, NY 10013, (646) 370-3596 | email: email@example.com
- (CIMA) is a 501c3 public nonprofit exhibition and research center established in 2013 in New York City to promote public appreciation and advance the study of modern and contemporary Italian art in the United States and internationally.
- 2019–2020 season will start Thursday, October 17, 2019. This year will be open to the public Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. With open hours from 2pm to 6pm on these three days, and fellow-led tours at 11am and 2pm on Fridays and Saturdays.Reservations for viewing of Marino Marini: Arcadian Nudes will be open at the beginning of October 2019.
- website: italianmodernart.org
The Chinese American Arts Council-Gallery 465
- 456 Broadway, 3rd floor, New York, NY 10013 | Phone : 212.431.9740 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Chinese American Arts Council (CAAC) was established in 1975 to support the cultural arts of New York City’s Chinese-heritage communities and to generally raise awareness of Chinese performing and visual arts.
- Gallery 456 is the visual arts exhibition space of the Chinese American Arts Council. Open to the public during office hours and by appointment. Exhibit: Found in Translation-Oct 4 – Nov 1, 2019 Artist: Eleen Lin, Curated by: Janusz Jaworski
- Website: www.caacarts.org
Community Board No. 2
- 3 Washington Square Village, #1A, New York, NY 10012 | Phone : 212-979-2272 | Fax: 212-254-5102 | email: email@example.com
- The Manhattan Community Board 2 is a New York City community board encompassing the neighborhoods of Greenwich Village, West Village, NoHo, SoHo, Lower East Side, Chinatown, and Little Italy in the borough of Manhattan. Community Board 2 is one of the first community boards to be established in the early 1960’s
- See CB2 Calendar and Agenda and find location of all monthly meetings. *Calendar is subject to change. Monthly location is also subject to change.
- FULL BOARD meeting is 10/24, Scholastic Building, 130 Mercer Street. See above calendar for committee meeting dates and website for details on public session and how to submit speaker cards.
- website: Community Board 2 Manhattan
Douglas Dunn + Dancers
- 541 Broadway 3rd floor, New York, NY 10012 , New York City | Phone:Office: +212-966-6999 | email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- NOVEMBER 2019 – Dance-Forms Productions presents Douglas Dunn + Dancers Tandemette on November 27 and 28 in Guatemala City at the Teatro Abril. Fundraising for this trip online at Douglas Dun + Dancers
- Website: Douglas Dunn + Dancers
The Drawing Center
- 35 Wooster Street, New York, NY 10013, (212) 219-2166| email: email@example.com | Wed–Fri: 12-6pm, Thurs: 12-8pm
- Adults: $5 | Student and seniors: $3 | Admission is free Thursdays, 6–8pm, and at all times for the following: Children under 12, Members, and Visitors with disabilities and a person accompanying them.
- The Drawing Center, a museum in Manhattan’s SoHo district, explores the medium of drawing as primary, dynamic, and relevant to contemporary culture.
- Join us for Opening Reception ‘The Pencil Is a Key: Drawings by Incarcerated Artists’ Oct 10 from 6pm-8pm – Learn more HERE
- Website: drawingcenter.org
Elizabeth Street Garden
- Elizabeth Street between Prince & Spring Streets, Little Italy, New York City | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weekdays: Noon-4PM, Weekends:Noon-4PM, weather permitting and when RealFeel is above 40°F,
- Yoga Sundays continue at 10:30 am See full Calendar!
- Website: elizabethstreetgarden.org
Housing Works Bookstore and Cafe
- Visit at 126 Crosby St New York, NY– Mon–Fri: 9 AM–9 PM | Sat–Sun: 10 AM–5 PM | Phone: 212-334-3324 | email: email@example.com.
- The Bookstore is staffed almost entirely by volunteers and 100% of our profits go to Housing Works.
- HousingWorks fights for funding and legislation to ensure that all people living with HIV/AIDS have access to quality housing, healthcare, HIV prevention, and treatment, among other lifesaving service
- It’s never a dull moment at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe and October has too many events to list – see the schedule HERE
- Website: Housingworks.org
The Judd Foundation
- Visit with guided tour reservation: 101 Spring Street New York NY, Tues, Thurs, and Fri at 1:00pm, 3:00pm, and 5:00pm. Sat at 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and 4:00pm. | phone: 212.219.2747 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guided visits to 101 Spring Street offer visitors direct engagement with Donald Judd’s art and vision. Judd’s formerly private living and working space provides firsthand experience of Judd’s concept of permanent installation in downtown New York.
- $24 per person. $11.50 students and seniors, with valid ID. High School students can visit 101 Spring Street for free | Call for tickets OvationTix: 866.811.4111
- Judd Foundation Drawing Sessions still have some openings in 2019: https://juddfoundation.org/programs/drawing-sessions
- website: Juddfoundation.org
Leslie-Lohman Museum-50 Years of LGBTQ Art
- 26 Wooster Street New York, NY 10013 (Between Grand & Canal Streets)
- Created by our founders to preserve LGBTQ identity and build community, the Leslie-Lohman Museum acts as a cultural hub for the LGBTQ community by aspiring to reclaim scholarship from a queer perspective, to provide a training ground for queer artists and cultural workers, and to examine the juxtaposition between art and social justice in ways that provoke thought and dialogue.
- PACO CAO: Attribution – August 14 – November 3, 2019
- For exhibition, education and cultural programs – visit www.leslielohman.org
Lower East Side Ecology Center
- Mailing address-P.O. Box 20488 New York, NY 10009. 212-477-4022, | email: email@example.com
- LES offers Community-based Recycling and Composting Programs, Local Stewardship of Green Space, and Environmental Education Programs.
- Compost drop off locations in Manhattan: Hudson Square/6th Avenue & Spring Street -NE Corner-Tuesdays & Thursdays 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Year Round) ALSO First St & First Ave Commuter Compost Drop-Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:00am-11am
Mulberry Street Library
Museum at Eldridge Street
Rebecca Kelly Ballet
- Appleby Foundation, Inc. 501c3 non-profit listed on Guidestar
- Home of the classical and contemporary Rebecca Kelly Ballet – since 1979.
- For professionals – Rehearsal studio for dance
- Find out more about us: www.rebeccakellyballet.com
SoHo Arts Network
- The Soho Arts Network is a working network of non-profit art spaces in SoHo, celebrating the rich history of our unique creative community.
- See network of galleries: sohoarts.org
SoHo Design District
- The SoHo Design District brings together SoHo’s design community through the promotion and preservation of SoHo as a premier destination for world renowned design and creativity.
- ADFF Short Films Walk 2019 – The ADFF Short Films Walk (SFW) on October 2nd connects 8 Soho design showrooms and the Architecture & Design Film Festival for one fabulous night Oct 2, 5-9 pm. RSVP HERE
- See map of design community: sohodesigndistrict.org
The SoHo Memory Project
- Contact the SoHo Memory Project: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The SoHo Memory Project is a mobile museum, archive, and blog celebrating and preserving the history of SoHo as a New York City neighborhood. Contact the SoHo Memory Project: email@example.com
- Website: sohomemory.org
Would your organization like to be added to our SoHo Broadway Community Corner? email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
See our news & events
SoHo Broadway Community programming