Ensure your company has Paid Family Leave coverage
- Most private employers with one or more employees are required to obtain Paid Family Leave insurance. Contact your broker or insurer for information about available policies as well as options for paying your premium (e.g., whether it can be paid semi-annually, annually, or annually on a retrospective basis).
- This insurance is generally added to an existing disability insurance policy.
- If you are self-insured for disability, you may purchase a separate Paid Family Leave policy or apply to the NYS Workers’ Compensation Board to self-insure.
- For a list of insurers offering Paid Family Leave policies, visit the PFL section of the Department of Financial Services website.
Inform your employees about Paid Family Leave
- Update appropriate written materials distributed to your employees, such as employee handbooks, to include Paid Family Leave information.
- If you do not have a handbook, provide written guidance to employees concerning their Paid Family Leave benefits.
- Model language for employee handbooks and other written materials is available here